Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Antique Chalkboard!

OK, So I have joined my first MckLinky Blog Party/Contest over at Shanty2Chic!


It's was not really Shanty when I started out but it sure looks Chic now!


The only rule is you must have used a Rust-Oleum product.
Well this project started out as a Christmas present, but well I think I have decided to keep it!
Sorry Momma !
I purchased the mirror at Hobby Lobby, it was regularly $19.99 and I of course got it
for 50% off!



Supplies
Chalk Board Paint

Heirloom White
Black Craft Paint
Sponge Brush
Sand Paper

The funny thing about the Heirloom White is that I here Whitney and Ashley speak of it all the time and when I headed to the shed to see what kind of off-white spray paint I had,
it was just sitting right there, never been used, and calling my name!

I always, I mean ALWAYS have black chalk board paint!


1st ~I unscrewed the back (those were the tiniest screws ever!)






2nd~I spray painted it a few times to get the coverage I wanted.

3rd~ Spray painted the mirror a few times, being careful not to leave "lines".


4th~ used my sanding block and went over the raised edges. Some of the black that was on the frame to began with came though.

5th~ dry brushed the black craft paint on with a sponge brush

6th~ put it all back together and wrote a Cheerful Christmas message for my bathroom!



Thank you all for checking out my Antique Chalkboard made with love and a little help from Rust-Oleum!




Ok, so I always want to look at the positive side of things on this blog but I have to warn all of you or possible get your advise if you know otherwise. I purchased Bistro Chalk Markers ( & paid full price), they have ruined all of my chalk board (even the one above)! The last message I wrote is still showing through. I have used water, 409, and even put one in the dishwasher, HELP!

7 comments:

  1. Cute mirror! I'm not sure how to get the previous message off now, other than to repaint it with chalkboard paint.
    However, try this tip next time: before writing anything on the paint, rub a regular piece of chalk on its side all over to "break it in", and then erase and start writing. I can't think of the technical term for it, but it should prevent future messages from staying after you erase them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's the cutest chalkboard i've seen. really love it!

    the same thing happened to me. i thought i had rubbed enough chalk on it, but maybe not. now i have to repaint. i'm leary of the chalk markers now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome looking chalkboard you have here! I got some chalkboard spray paint weeks ago and still have not found the time to make me one...maybe after Christmas. Hope you have a FUN week!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shape & detail of the frame! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love it! Man, I really was wanting some chalk markers. Not if they are gonna do that. That stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so creative, thanks for the idea and the step by step process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used a chalk marker and let it dry for too long and it won't come off. I guess I will try the chalk board paint in a can. Maybe the spray can kind isn't as durable with chalk markers?

    ReplyDelete